Discuss the novel New York 2140
2017 – New York 2140
Comments
9 responses to “2017 – New York 2140”
-
Hi. I recently started reading New York 2140. While it is based on an interesting premise, I did find some of the language and the way God’s name was used a couple times hurtful. I think the book could still convey the characters’ passion and emotions without using God’s name in that way.
Thanks for listening.
-
I knew since I read the Mars series (and gave up on the last book) that Kim has an excellent knowledge of science and its possibilities, but that his knowledge of politics and finance is strictly lower class.
2312 was an excellent book, full on interesting ideas on the future of our solar system and the transforming of celestial bodies and the creation of new ones. It was a really interesting idea. The novel kept one moving and anxious to continue to read.
However, now we come to New York 2140. It has no interesting plot, it is boring, and it is a propaganda essay, which in its full context is an insane lie. Let’s point out some interesting observation on the book:
1. Kim condemns, like most current liberals, the massive faults in our current government, industry and blames the 1% for their greedy “find the place that makes the most profit.”
2. The issue with this is first, Kim is part of the 1%. Of 7 billion people on earth, the 1% comprises anyone with an income of $400,000/per year and/or a new worth of around $800,000.
3. That is a lot of people, (70M) including him and me.
4. Kim seems to forget that without unbridled capitalism we would all still be living in caves and gathering roots and berries. Is that what he wants? Kim would condemn our ancestor who picked up a stick, hooked it to a horse and displaces four guys with sticks. That is productivity and it is the only reason we are not still living in caves and gathering roots and berries.
Bottom line: Great scientific ideas. Poor understanding of capitalism and how it has created the “wealth of nations.” Suggestion: Stay with the kind of novel like 2312. That way, he will not demonstrate his poor understanding of the modern world of finance.
-
On page 378, “a) the citizen” gives an inspiring overview of the non-carbon-based energy technologies, some already in existence, some imagined. I think this would be a wonderful excerpt to put online and spread it everywhere.I wonder if Mr. Robinson would think this a good idea? Just a thought, I’m not doing it!!!
-
What is a Bacino??????
-
It’s an Italian word related to the English “basin” which refers to a larger expanse of water that is still somewhat enclosed – bacini are to canals what plazas are to streets.
-
-
On page 510, about 2/3 of the way down: “Nightstick in one hand, hand on pistol in holster, ready to shout if she had to.”
Should this be “shoot if she had to”?
FWIW,
Scott
-
First-time reader with a question: In 2140, if the boys could not read, how were they able to read out the detailed epitaphs in the Bronx Cemetery? Just asking.
-
Does anyone know of a list of the unique vocabulary words that KSR has invented & used in NY 20140? (e.g., bacino, graphene, skyvillage) I’d love to have a list of those words with definitions. It would help me understand a little better what I am reading.
-
http://northwardho.blogspot.tw/2017/03/the-character-in-ksr-novel-ny2140.html — Octaviasdottier in NY2140 is homage to Octavia Butler?
Leave a Reply